Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mad Scientist "Sensory/Feel Boxes" For Halloween

I remember when I was in school my favorite thing that we did at Halloween parties were the "feel boxes".   So, I have made them a few times for Elijah's parties... Trying to pass on the memories, ya know?

Generally, I use the book There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat.  Which works great!

However, since I had already done that for him, I wanted to switch things up a bit this year.  I decided to do a mad scientist theme because he is SUPER into SCIENCE right now.   And I wrote a poem to go along with materials I already had for the most part.  

Here's the poem:

The mad scientist is crazy!
The mad scientist is a loon!
He tip-toes from beaker to beaker
In circles around the room.

Always checking concoctions
that bubble, fizz, and pop.
Shelves upon shelves of goodies
In cabinets from floor to top.

Sneak a peek inside?
You may not like what you will find
Some jars green and gooey
Filled with slime of the Ogre kind.

Dig around a little deeper
And three brown boxes you will see
Each labeled “Hazardous” or “Toxic”
To keep out you and me.

But fear not my little friend
It’s not as bad as all that
In box one you’ll find monster fur
And the wings of a bat.

Box two has a most unique surprise
Cold, slippery and thin
Just wiggly little worms 
Touch them and you will grin. 

Box three is last but not least
Reach in and you will be
Feeling something spectacular
The sharp points of werewolf teeth.

But you better be extra careful
Snooping around the room 
The mad scientist is crazy!
The mad scientist is a loon!

The  materials I used for each:

Ogre Slime- Mystery Matter: 2 cups Corn Starch, about one cup of water, 3-5 drops of green food coloring (Great for science lesson too! It exhibits characteristics of both a solid and a liquid depending on how you use it.)
Monster Fur- Cotton Balls, Pulled Apart
Bat Wings- Dried Apricots or Dried Apples
Worms- Cooked Spaghetti (cook it a long time... it will get very slimy)
Werewolf Teeth - Candy Corn
Another tip- wet wipe containers work well for the boxes! :)

This is an example of the labels that I used for the boxes.


* I'll post pictures tomorrow!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS